I got the inspiration for this project from the Gelliarts blog. Well worth a visit if you haven't done so already. The instructions for making the papier-mache bowl are explained very clearly there so I wont repeat them, look for yourself here.
Stamps : NDC Round Tree, NDC Blocks of Fun, Hare from Woodland stamp set
Inks: Ranger Archival Jet Black
Stencils: Claritystamp Leafy Swirl
Other: White PVA glue, Tissue paper, Acrylic paints
The making of the papier-mache bowl took several days. I used a balloon, left behind from my grandsons' visit, for the mould and an old phone directory and copier paper torn into strips for the layers. I watered down white PVA glue to stick the paper strips on. The base I made by taping on a lid from a Camembert cheese box. The bowl took longer than I had anticipated but a lot of that time was waiting for layers to dry. When it was thoroughly dry I gave it a base coat of emulsion paint. Now the fun bit, decorating it.
For the outside I chose several Gelliprints in blues and greens, which I cut into rectangles of various sizes and stuck on randomly with PVA glue. If you look closely you can see I have used the Leafy Swirl stencil on some of them. The inside I wanted to be gold so I gave it a coat of bright red acrylic first and then when dry a couple of coats of gold acrylic. Obviously it would be very difficult if not impossible to stamp directly onto the bowl so I stamped onto tissue paper, cut around them and then stuck them on with PVA glue. I did practise this first on a scrap Gelliprint and the method I found the best was to put the glue on the Gelliprint , carefully lay down the stamped tissue and smooth out with a paintbrush with more glue on top. If the tissue paper creases or tears , which it did for me several times, just take it off and try again with a new piece.
I used the Round Tree stamp in the centre of my bowl and one of the hares from the Woodland set around the inside. For the edging around the top and base of the bowl I stamped the Blocks of Fun several times and cut into strips of five squares. Finally a coat of acrylic varnish. This project was messy but lots of fun. Hope you like it.