Tuesday 1 September 2015

Claritystamp Challenge - Shaped Card



Another month has flashed by and it's time for another Claritystamp Challenge. This month the challenge is to make a shaped card, no squares or rectangles. I was determined not to leave it to the last minute this month, and maybe because I still had last month's design in my head, this one has turned out very similar. Next month I promise I will do something totally different.

Stamps:  Claritystamp Character Silhouette set, Douglas and Lily, Words from the Birdcage set, NDC82 Cherries
Dies:       Tim Holtz On the edge Distressed Doily, Sizzix Thinlets Decorative trim #2
Inks:       Adirondack Stream and Denim, Black Archival
Other:     A4 pearly cardstock, Blue card, Blue Watercolour marker

  • Using the Doily Die cut the top front of the card. Fold the card in half and cut the back with scissors freehand slightly higher than the cut out doily. (If I was doing this again I wouldn't cut the back until later.)
  • Cut an oval from some background card previously created with shaving foam.  I used a template and cut round by hand but if I had one an oval die would have been much more accurate.  Stamp on the couple using Archival black ink and then add some shading around the edges and under their feet with a mixture of Stream and Denim ink.


  • Sorry forgot to take photos of the next few stages.
  • Mount the oval on blue card and cut around then stick to the front of the card. I had intended to have a wider blue edge but cutting by hand it got smaller and smaller. I must get some Oval dies. 
  • Decided it needed some blue card inside the card so stuck this in and then cut around the shape again. (This is where it would have been easier to cut the two back pieces at the same time.)
  • Stamp the words on another piece of the Shaving foam paper, mount on blue card and stick below the oval.

  • Finishing touches.  Make some little flowers using the NDC Cherries stamp.
  • Stamp onto scraps of shaving foam card, Go around the edges with blue watercolour marker, brush on a little water and then blot with kitchen roll, cut out. I made 9.

  • Attach 5 flowers to top, slightly shaping them, and 3 in a line inside the card (not shown). The last one might go on the envelope.
  • Draw faux blue stitching around the oval and word strip using the fine end of the blue watercolour marker.
  • Cut out two paper trims using decorative trim die and add to top and bottom of word strip.

Hope this has been some inspiration for you to have a go at this month's Claritystamp challenge.  I will use my card for an upcoming family wedding in October.  I am pretty sure my nephew doesn't read craft blogs.  Looking forward to seeing all your entries.

Lesley

14 comments:

  1. A beautiful card and design I like the shape of it. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very pretty card Lesley - love your composition and all the shades of blue. It'll be a keeper for your Nephew & his wife I'm sure. Handmade cards are always so much more special than shop-bought ones, and the fact Auntie Lesley made it makes it even more so.......And you never know, he may be a secret follower of your blog!
    You sound a bit like me, I tend to reach for my favourite colours, stamps and stencils each time too :-)
    Have a lovely day. Hugs, Carole xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your background has got me into the 'foamy set,' Lesley only I'm using blue food colouring as my Distress and alcohol inks are elsewhere at the moment! It works, too; pulled some great backgrounds for my mum's Groovi Christmas cards! Love how you have used the silhouette set - note to self- add to next Clarity order. ;~}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila. Must try food colouring as I haven't got many colours in the inks. I had a session of creating some more foamy backgrounds yesterday but remembered to wear latex gloves this time. I do like silhouette stamps, they are so versatile. x

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. So beautifully delicate and pretty. Wonderful colours and everything works so perfectly together. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely card Lesley that your Nephew and his wife will adore and treasure I'm sure. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a very pretty card Lesley I love the colours you have used - I know what you mean cutting by hand to match - its not the easiest is it. I hope the weather is kind for the wedding and I am sure they will love this card xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. So delicate lovely shape well done blog xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone for all the positive comments. I do like the fact that the Clarity challenges really make you think of different ways of crafting. I can't remember the last time I made a shaped card. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always think "something blue" is particularly appropriate for a wedding card Lesley, and this one is such a beautiful elegant design. I feel inspired now to have a shaving foam session myself: maybe next week when I have some time off work. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Lesley. Apologies for not popping in sooner. I really love this card. Your shaving foam background gives the whole design a lovely delicate feel. Love your construction. Looking forward to seeing more of your wonderful designs . Hugs xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Lesley. Apologies for not popping in sooner. I really love this card. Your shaving foam background gives the whole design a lovely delicate feel. Love your construction. Looking forward to seeing more of your wonderful designs . Hugs xxxx

    ReplyDelete